From the 14th century. until 1810 There was a Vievis Orthodox monastery in Vievis, next to which was a church. An important writing for the history of the Orthodox was printed in the Orthodox monastery and printing house. 1810 the monastery church became a parish, but during the war with Napoleon in 1812. burned. The new one was built only in 1842–1843. During World War I, the church was severely damaged by artillery fire, but after the war, the parish was rebuilt in 1923. solemnly consecrated. 1937 there were 805 believers in the parish. A total of 48 hectares of land and 5 buildings, donated by Duke Oginskis, remained on the former church property. 1945 there were 370 believers in the parish, although the parish itself was registered with the USSR authorities only in 1948. 1949 overhaul performed.
It is believed that the first monastery was founded in the 14th century, when Duke Gediminas allowed Orthodox monks to settle here in honor of his orthodox wife, the daughter of the Duke of Polotsk, Jaunė. The monastery flourished in the 15th century. - In the 16th century, the Orthodox felt gratitude to the duke and were active members of the religious community. XV a. at the beginning of the 16th century. In the middle of the 19th century, the hearth of Orthodoxy was taken care of by famous nobles and nobles: Valavičiai, Tiškevičiai, Oginskiai, Pacai and Giedraičiai. While living surrounded by Orthodox Lithuanians, they began to adopt the Orthodox religion. A school was opened next to the monastery, where lessons were taught in the Old Slavic language. Orthodoxy promoted science, and Vievis was one of the larger centers of education. After the union of Lublin, bad times came for the Orthodox in Vievis: the number of monks began to decline, the church became obsolete, the school was closed, support was cut off from almost all former sponsors. Many of them became Unites or converted to Catholicism after the Brest Union. The nobleman Bogdan Oginskis donated 3 villages, 500 tenths of land, a lake to the fraternity. The fraternity repaired the church, which belonged to the buildings of the monastery and the printing house. Bogdan Oginski himself was a zealous supporter of Orthodoxy and an opponent of the Unites. He was one of the few who resisted the influence of the Unites. B. Oginskis' children also remained faithful to their father's attitudes. Near the monastery of the 17th century. A printing house was established at the beginning of the 16th century. printed books in Cyrillic. Its first publications were prayer books in the ecclesiastical Slavic language. 1619 Smotrick's "Slavic Grammar" (Грамматики славенския правилное Синтагма) was published here, one of the first grammarians of the Church Slavonic language (from which Mikhail Lomonosov also studied the book "The Gateway to Science"). Until 1660 the printing house published 25 books in Russian (Church Slavonic) and Polish. Among the books, religious and polemical literature directed against the Unites and Jesuits prevailed. 1810 closed church and monastery. Until then, he had worked intermittently - sometimes with only a few monks, sometimes with none at all. A few years later, the church, monastery, and printing house were looted and burned by Napoleon's soldiers passing by. The Vievis Orthodox community then did not have its own house of worship for about forty years, when in 1843. the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God of Vievis was built, and the monastery was not rebuilt.